Thursday 8 November 2012

Are you a Wargamer?

Of course, I said "you" refering to "me". Greg posted this up on Hoodling's Hole yesterday, and it looked like a bit of fun. Let's see how much of a wargamer I am.
Greg found this on a blog, written by someone who found it on a different blog. After digging, I think I have found the ultimate source.I found this on The Wargaming Site. I suspect that the people responsible truly are wargamers, or their site would be a little underwhelming.

After changing hands several times, the quiz has certainly changed. I'll use it in the form tht Greg posted it, as that seems more relevant to ur group than any other versions I found. The points I'm also not sure on. I'll figure it out.


Without further ado:
Score Points if You:
Spent at least $1000 on figures/vehicles/monsters and you get extra kudos for every $1000 you've spent 
I really have no idea how much I've spent. I could figure out the retail value of all my stuff, but I often used non-standard figures that work out differently. Let's just say that if an army costs $500 (some estimate I just pulled out of my arse), and that I have nine or so armies... $4500. I'm gonna chuck in another $1500 for all the other systems I play.
 (6 points)

Covered your fingers in layers of superglue to the point where you can no longer bend them 

Naturally
 (1 point)

Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again 

I count: Warhammer, 40k, Dystopian Wars, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Bloodbowl. I think I fall short here. I certainly haven't vowed to never play them again.


Bought an army off EBay/TradeMe  

No, not enough to count as an army

Sold an army on EBay/Trade Me   

Yes, got to the point where I didn't want it any more.
 (1 point)

Spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once  

No, my armies take so long to produce that I can't bring myself to do this.

Tried several different periods/genres or different army books.

 Yes, I've used many armies. (1 point)

Dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height 

I'm pretty sure when I was younger and less aware. These days all my stuff is in proper tough boxes, so less of a problem.  (1 point)

Lost a battle on the last throw of the dice  

Yeah, having a Bretonnian Bus panic off the table. And in hindsight, they shouldn't have even fled in that direction (new 8th ed rules...) (1 point)

Had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table  

I think so, perhaps when I was starting out. These days I just read the rules wrong, then accept when I have done so. (1 point)

Thrown a dice across a room  

Perhaps not in anger, but yes. (1 point)

Repainted an entire army simply because
Yeah, my Law Daemons count here. (1 point)

Inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
8th ed allows this more and more. (1 point)

Suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
Too many to think of. (1 point)

Purchased a ton of models that remain unpainted
No, most of my stuff I purchase with a purpose in mind, and I rarely buy more than I can paint


Been to a wargamers show/tournament
What shows? Tournaments, yes! (1 point)

Dressed up in costume while attending a wargaming show/tournament  

I did wear an eye patch and a plastic cutlass whilst playing my Ogre Pirates once. That counts. (1 point)

Have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them
I like to buy new dice for each army. So yes. (1 point)

Have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates
Yep, whenever I have a new army! (1 point)

You have reference books on each period / army you play or for WHFB/40k relevant fiction.  

I don't know what counts as reference. Probably no.

You have lied to your partner / spouse about how much you've spent on the hobby
Yeah, but before she was my wife. And probably only lying by omission. (1 point)

You get genuinely excited when a package arrives in the posts
Yeah, but this is not exclusive to wargaming. (1 point)

You get those packages sent to your work/parents rather than your home address so you can sneak the extra models home slowly without your wife/husband/partner finding out how much you spent
I can't reacall if that was my reason, or because it was a courier delivery. I'll say no.

You have returned from a wargames show/tournament and sneaked upstairs to hide the stash.
No, I rarely buy stuff at tournaments and winnings I proudly show off.

You have an irrational aversion to some genres and vow never to play them regardless of how much fun they look
I don't think so. I am pretty weary of staring news systems because I actively try to avoid hoarding.

You have made your own wargames scenery.
Of course. (1 point) 

 
You have reached a painting 'wall' 
Pretty much every army has one of these. Then there is an renaissance and I get it done quickly! (1 point)

You have lost - and regained - your wargaming mojo.
No majorly, but it happens. (1 point)

You have the occasional (and short lived) sense of guilt with your wife/children when complaining to them about the money spent in clothes, shoes or toys/Xbox games when you have $200 of unpainted metal stuffed in an upstairs drawer.
Like I said, I don't sit on massed unpainted stuff. 

You have jealously coveted someone else's troops.
For sure. Any they mine! Yahahah. (1 point)

You have laughed (secretly or otherwise) as someone else's paint job
Yeah...  (1 point)

You have provided a piece of useless trivia relating to the troops on the table to show off your wargaming knowledge
I love trivia! (1 point)
 
You have contradicted someone elses' trivia - demonstrating your superior knowledge and giving you a warm glow inside.
I love to stickle! (1 point)

You have caused a major disaster on a wargames table (spilling a pint, collapsing the table, dropped someone else's figures on the floor).
Perhaps, but I can't rememeber any details. (1 point)

You have cheered and/or danced a jig when an opponent's dice lets them down at a critical point
Yes, but usually I'm more polite. (1 point)

You have lied to your partner about going gaming.  "Mothers' not very well - just popping around to see her. I'll be back in about - oh - seven hours".
No, I'm upfront.

You have lied to an attractive woman (man) - not your partner - about being a wargamer. 
No, I never wanted to hide such a large part of my life. My wife is quite aware!

You have made an opponent cry.  It doesn't count if they are under 8 years old though.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure they were crocodile tears... (1 point)

You have collected and painted multiple armies of the same type
Onto Greenskis no. 3. (1 point)

You have reference or official source books on armies you haven't even got.
Not really.

You have bought figures for a game/army/historical period you have never and will never play - because they were cheap
Not really. I don't count my Celts because I used them to make a Warhammer army.

You have inflicted grievous bodily harm on a dice that has let you down
No. I respot my dice. I like my dice...

You blog or have a web-page about your Wargaming activities
Look away now! (1 point)

Your book collection is almost all war, wargames, Sci-Fi or Fantasy related
Probably. (1 point)

You critique 'war' and 'fantasy' movies (especially Hollywood movies) for historical/gaming accuracy. 

Yes! (1 point)

You spend car / train journeys checking out the lie of the land - considering which way you would attack from and whether it would make good wargaming terrain.
Yes. How else to pass the time? (1 point)

 
Total 37/48 (77% Wargamer!) Less than I thought, but I guess it's still pretty high. I hope you enjoyed the break from Duelling Painbrushes, but more soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment