Monday 24 September 2012

Wood Elf Orcs






Welcome to BIDD! I'm completely new to blogging, but I have for some time now been a bloggee. I suspect it will take a bit of time for me to really work out what I'm going to write about here, so I thought I would start off with an existing project.



Of all the games I play, Warhammer has been my longest-running. I would have to say that it's proportional occupation of my time has waned a bit since a few years ago, as I've had plenty of other things to distract me. However, one my my primarly loves in gaming is a theme army. This can be a visual theme, design theme, or any other theme I could think of (which I can't).

I've had a reasonably long string of theme armies for a while now. I started with a Law-themed Chaos Daemon army, an Arabyan Orc army, pirate Ogres, celtic Warriors of Chaos. I've slipped links in there to the Land of Misfit Toys, where by friend Brad has already done some bits on my armies. I suspect I'll talk a bit more aboat these armies as I progress with the blog.


My current army is a Wood Elf themed orc army. This makes it my third orc army (although the first one was My First Army and looks like most peoples' first army). I chose this combination because firstly I love working with orcs. The list has a lot of options, allowing you to easily find a unit to fit an image or idea. Secondly, they're fairly crude, which means I can be sloppier on the conversions and it looks like it's supposed to be that way!

I then picked the wook elves because they're so different to orcs. Culturally, strategically, phillosophically and asthetically, they don't match orcs at all. For me, this creates a lot of humour in my theme, and keeps the army interesting.

 Here's what I have so far:

Doom Diver, masquerading as a Giant Archer.


The Original.


Test scheme orc archers.

The next batch.
Round-hooded night goblins.
A troll in a wooden costume; Treekin wannabe.
The idea here is to make the list as wood-elfy in style as possible; lots of shooting, small hard-hitting units. Visually, I want to make parodies of some of the more iconic Wood Elf models out there.
It's been a while now since I did much work on this army, but I'm a teacher and on holidays now! Time to get building. I'll let you know how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment